Raingutter Regatta Rules 2017
Raingutter Regatta Official Rules
Race Day – Saturday, November 11, 2017
Burleigh Elementary School Viking Room
BOAT SPECIFICATIONS AND DESIGN:
1. TRIMARAN BOAT KIT: Boats must use all materials from the official BSA raingutter regatta trimaran
boat kit. All parts (2 outriggers, polymer hull, mast, sail and 4 screws) should be installed as shown on
the instruction sheet included in the kit. No substitutions are allowed.
2. OUTRIGGERS/HULL: The Outriggers must be no longer than 7 inches or shorter than 6 ½ inches. The
finished boat must be 3 ¼ inches wide, which is the dimension of the molded hull. The outriggers must
be solid and not split into multiple parts and must be evenly placed. The outriggers should be cut on theleading edge as shown in the kit instructions. One outrigger may not be placed ahead of the other.
3. MAST: The mas must be 6 ½ inches from deck to top. Full mast must be used as provided in kit.
4. SAIL: Sail provided in the kit must be used (no substitutions allowed). Sail as installed can be no larger
than the material supplied, and must be installed/attached to the mast. Sail cannot be rolled into a coneor otherwise significantly misshapen or modified. Sail can be cut into 2 pieces and installed on the
single mast for design considerations.
5. DETAILING: Modifications/accessories may be added; however dimensional measurements must not be
exceeded by design embellishments. Accessories must be firmly attached. No accessory can be a source
of motive force for the boat beyond that supplied by the scout blowing on the sail.
1. INSPECTION: Each boat must pass an inspection by the registration inspectors before it may compete.
The inspectors may disqualify those boats which do not meet the specifications. Once a boat has been
inspected and checked-in, it may no longer be handled by anyone but the race officials.
2. MODIFICATIONS: No alterations will be permitted after the official inspection. Emergency repairs will
be allowed with permission and supervision of the race officials.
3. OPERATIONS: Boats will be started with back of the boat touching the gutter end cap. Scouts will not
be permitted to touch their boat during the race. Any necessary righting of the boat will be done by the
4. BEST IN SHOW JUDGING: The design competition for each rank will be judged by the scouts of that
rank. Scouts may not vote for their own boat.
5. TROPHY RECIPIENTS: For each rank (Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos 1 and Webelos 2), the scouts
finishing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd will each receive a trophy. In addition, the scout with the boat voted Best in
Show will also receive a trophy. However, if the scout voted Best in Show receives a trophy for 1st, 2nd
or 3rd place, the Best in Show trophy will go to the scout with the second most votes who did not place.